Day 18 of Quarantine
I feel the strong desire to murder someone. If given the chance, I might not hesitate. In the desolate place my town has turned to I can probably get away with it.
Such thoughts tempt my depressed soul, which earns for the rays of the sun and the long walks that were forcibly taken away from me. I let out a sigh.
It makes a small journey around all corners of the quiet room, and disappears, not leaving any traces of its existence.
- This is torture...
I slump back in the chair. Not even books are helping me. This one in particular is so dull, reading it annoys me to no end.
Video games were a good distraction, but their usefulness came to an end, and I can't possibly make more origami than this. My collection is huge enough as it is.
In moments like this a person gets philosophical...or maybe it's just me. It's probably just me. In my head I already made peace with all the hardships that came with my previous life.
As long as I could get it back soon, everything would be perfectly fine.
Yet another boring day, or so I thought.
- I need some fresh air.
I set the words free, as I stand up from the chair. I make it outside and sit on the bench in the small yard my house thankfully has.
It's way better than staying locked up 24/7, like a bird in a cage. Sometimes I wonder which is more dangerous - the virus or staying in one place for too long.
I'm gonna bet on equally dangerous.
- Hey, you!
My small white dog Shiroi makes it next to me. I've had her ever since she was a puppy. To this day I'm still not sure what her breed is, but it doesn't matter anyway. I'd love her all the same.
She jumps on the bench and curls up next to me.
- You lazy little furball. - I tease her with a small smile.
There ain't a single soul out on the street. The sun is bright and warm - a perfect weather if it weren't for the quarantine. I close my eyes, and bask in the warm rays.
The gentle wind just barely grazes my face. The peace doesn't last long though.
Someone's loud cry makes me jump in my spot and my eyes fly open. I instinctively grab Shiroi and move away in time, before his weapon crashes against the wooden bench.
My whole body is shaking in both panic and anger.
- What the fuck do you think you're doing?! Are you out of your mind?!
To my surprise, the man just looks at me in confusion, whilst I study him in horror. Shiroi escapes my grasp and starts to bark at him.
- I don't understand... - he mumbles the words, while looking around.
"Oh, really? YOU don't understand?"
- Umm, excuse me?
I wave my hand to try and get his attention. When I finally manage to do so, I try to sound as calm as possible, while also calming Shiroi down.
- Mind telling me who you are, and what you're doing in my house? Don't you know about the quarantine? Why would you just go around attacking innocent people and their dogs, and...
- I study his weird clothes, not to mention his weapon like thingie, which resembles a huge paper knife - what the hell are you wearing? Was there a cosplay event in town, or something?
This time he looks even more confused. We just stare at each other for a good minute, before he finally decides to say something.
- I was just fighting a titan...I don't really know what happened...
- A titan?
I'm certain my expression clearly states what I think about his mental state, and it ain't positive.
- Look, I have no clue what you're talking about. I've never seen titans...or whatever you think you've been fighting.
Great, now he looks helpless. I can't deny the two obvious facts - he's very handsome and there's definitely something wrong with his head. I can't help but feel somewhat worried about him.
- If there's anything I can do to help... - I utter the words against my better judgement.
Won't be the first time I deal with a crazy man. He finally stops studying his surroundings, and focuses his attention on me.
- Excuse my poor manners. My name is Erwin Smith, Commander of the Survey Corps. Commander? One of my fetishes awakens. Oh, great, like the situation wasn't wacky enough already.
I try not to pay attention to this new development, and instead ask him about his situation.
- Who are these so called Survey Corps?
- We're a branch of the Military. Our main purpose is to fight against Titans, who endanger the people inside the Walls.
He answers my questions a bit more leisurely than before, which doesn't help much, since I still have no clue what he's talking about.
The questions in my mind are more than I can remember and manage to ask.
- Walls? What Walls?
- The three giant Walls humanity is hiding behind.
- From the titans?
- Yes, that's right.
- Ummm, I'm sorry to say this, but there are no such Walls in our world. - I say the words slowly, while I study his reaction.
His look of bewilderment is back. He seems to be in deep thought.
- This might be a stupid question, but what year is it now?
- 2020. - I answer quickly.
As silly as it might be, I am starting to understand the situation. Thus comes my next question.
- What year did you think it was?