Also, you'd be hard pressed to find a more inclusive and diverse cast of characters.
1. The Scientist: The whole point of the game is to cure diseases, so it's hard to argue with the Scientist's utility.
2. The Generalist: An extra action per turn is always welcome, regardless of the mode of play or number of epidemic cards.
3. The Researcher: Adds flexibility to your card collection efforts, and indispensable when playing the Lab Challenge.
4. The Medic: Very useful except in a solo game. You'll be too tempted to keep fighting the infections directly instead of trying to cure them.
5. The Quarantine Specialist: Before there were quarantine rules, there was the Quarantine Specialist. Arguably as effective as the Medic.
6. The Archivist: Having a larger hand of options is always useful.
7. The Epidemiologist: Right behind the Researcher when scrambling for the right cards.
8. The Field Operative: Unless you're down to the wire, converting disease cubes to cure cards is a godsend.
9. The Contingency Planner: Sometimes you KNOW you'll need that Event card later on.
10. The First Responder: When paired with cure-centric roles, the First Responder can put out fires as well as the Medic.
11. The Operations Expert: Best in co-op games.
12. The Containment Specialist: Different version of the Medic
13. The Troubleshooter: Hands down the coolest sounding role.
14. The Field Director: The most Plain Jane Pandemic role.
15. The Pilot: Can't be played in the solo game and he's the most useful with 4 co-op players.
16. The Dispatcher: Like the Pilot, best in a bigger team.
17. The Virologist: Her abilities work best in a team.
18. The Local Liaison: Excellent in the Lab Challenge
19. The Colonel: Only usable with quarantine rules, and a no-brainer when playing with those rules. Combined with the Quarantine Specialist, Outbreaks are no longer a problem.
20. The Pharmacist: Can be useful but rarely saves the day.
21. The Veterinarian: Only usable in the Hinterlands Challenge.
22. The Gene Splicer: The apples-to-oranges conversions can be easy to misunderstand at the worst moment.
23. The Bio-Terrorist: Included for completeness. Definitely not "useful".
Original by ThereWillBeGames/Oscar1y