Sorry this is so long. I condensed it as much as I could.
I grew up in a neighborhood with mostly families with kids and a few older people. The older kids would tell the younger kids made up stories about the older neighbors.
One lady kept frozen dogs in her freezer. Another family had a pet alligator in their bathroom. Stuff like that.
The most infamous neighbor was a middle aged man that lived behind a high white fence. Let's call him Secret Ops (SO). He had a sister with some kind of psychological issues.
She always wore a black trench coat (even in summer) and always stared at the ground when she walked down the street. She would never make eye contact or speak to anyone.
Supposedly, she howled at the full moon and SO kept her locked in the basement so she wouldn't escape.
SO sometimes "patrolled" the street in military fatigues and (I never personally saw this) occasionally carried a gun on his patrols.
Every one generally thought he was crazy and the parents usually wouldn't let their kids walk by his house alone.
He also had a doberman pincher that was rumored to be an extremely viscous attack dog.
SO often carried a camera and would take pictures of random stuff. The older kids always said he had video cameras hidden in his mailbox so we would make faces at it when we walked by.
He would occasionally leave "presents" on my parents' porch such as a box or twinkles or Easter candy. I was always bummed when my parents wouldn't let me eat the candy.
Flash forward 5 years and his house goes up for sale. He apparently abandoned it overnight and left all his stuff.
The house was listed really cheaply and my brothers decided to buy it as a first house (they were stupid and 20).
The property is covered in hundreds of trash bags and there are boxes and possessions throughout the house.
It took us a few months to get the place cleaned up and we had to do some serious remodeling. This is what we found:
- Birth Certificates, marriage certificates, psychological records for his sister.
- A dark room/ chemical room with a recipe to make TNT along with tons of toxic/illegal chemicals in old bottles.
- Cameras hidden in the trees and the mailbox (older kids weren't lying I guess).
- Super creepy homemade art. Ghostly faces with red eyes.
- Dozens of letters to and from the FBI and CIA claiming his neighbors were evil communists or spies out to murder him.
Most his letters talked about my retired lumberjack neighbor that SO believed to be the leader of a Mexican drug cartel.
In some of the letters, he said that if they wouldn't help, he would have to take action himself.
- Journals describing the evil neighbors and their movements. Including nicknames for most everyone in the neighborhood. My family was mentioned, but considered to be safe.
- Hundreds of pictures of cars, license plates, dogs, people's yards. Many of these were included in his letters to the CIA/FBI.
- Written on the wall in the basement, " Achtung Vermin, you are being watched.". The rest was something along the lines of being punished for trespassing, don't remember exactly.
- A padded room with a reinforced metal door that locked from the outside. There was a single chair and lightbulb hanging from the ceiling over it. It looked like an interrogation room.
I think there was also a bed in the corner where the sister probably slept.
- Tons of empty gun and ammunition boxes. Lots of boxes for security cameras and lights.
Turns out, the neighborhood legend was even creepier than we thought.
It's been a while since I've been in the house, so I don't remember everything super clearly.
I know there are pictures somewhere and we kept some of the CIA letters, but my family lives out of state so I can't get to them.
EDIT: Remembered a detail and tried to make the spacing less wall like.