1) Let your empathy destroy you. Look for the suffering and let their pain fill your bones. Become grief. Become trauma. Become everything and nothing.
Soon you won’t know which feelings are yours and what feelings you’ve picked up along the way.
2) Throw away your possessions. You’ll miss them for a week but you’ll forget. Tell your parents that everything is okay. You’re just trying to lead a more minimalistic life.
3) It’ll keep you up at night. The nightmares or the memories. Somehow they become one. Learn to fear sleep. Get out of bed. Lie on the floor. Don’t bring a blanket.
4) The heaviness in your limbs is normal. Eat less. Drink water every time you think about food. It helps.
5) Your friends will notice whether you want them to or not. Tell them you’ve got some family issues. It’s true. We all have family stuff going on.
6) Ignore the high places.
7) Remember the high places.
8) Eventually you will know what step eight is.