In honor of mental health month, I thought a self care list would be a good Thursday activity.
While this is probably more list than actual list poem, the community aspect of the activity is I believe, poetic.
Remember - self care is different from hobbies/likes! Self care is actively choosing to do things that put you in a good head space or help orient you in all the craziness.
Kealy’s self care habits:
- Mud masks and moisturizer on Sunday nights to get ready for the school week.
- Having a slow cup of coffee while I get ready for school in the morning and taking the time to finish it.
- Peeling citrus fruits.
- Reading old cooking magazines/actually reading through recipes/cookbooks cover-to-cover.
- Saturday scones and poetry.
- Though I don’t always feel like it, running. Getting my body outside into cool air and literally forcing myself to move forward.
- Just sitting with a friend. Not even talking or anything. Just sharing space with someone who doesn’t need anything from me but wants to be near me.
- Sitting in a cool, dark movie theater.
- Buying myself a new book without checking to see if the library has it first.
- Rumbling around Target.
- Absentmindedly petting my dog, Piper, while also essentially petting my buzzed hair. Soothing textures.
- Planning day trips! Most I’ll never even go on. But I love researching routes, hotels, restaurants, etc.